Fátima Private Tour And Batalha Nazaré & Óbidos

9 hr

E-Ticket

Instant Confirmation

Day Trip

Pickup Service

Group Tour

Itinerary
This is a typical itinerary for this product

Stop At: Basilica da Santissima Trindade, Cova da Iria - Santuario de Nossa Senhora de Fatima, Fatima 2496 Portugal

Basílica da Santíssima Trindade

Monuments

The Church of the Most Holy Trinity is situated within the enclosure of the Sanctuary of Fátima, on the opposite side of the Basilica. It was inaugurated in 2007 but had been planned since 1973. In fact since then there had been...
Itinerary
This is a typical itinerary for this product

Stop At: Basilica da Santissima Trindade, Cova da Iria - Santuario de Nossa Senhora de Fatima, Fatima 2496 Portugal

Basílica da Santíssima Trindade

Monuments

The Church of the Most Holy Trinity is situated within the enclosure of the Sanctuary of Fátima, on the opposite side of the Basilica. It was inaugurated in 2007 but had been planned since 1973. In fact since then there had been the need to build a new church because the Basilica wasn’t large enough to accommodate the great number of pilgrims who wanted to attend services within the Sanctuary, on days of average turnout.

The Church is a modern, round, white building, the color of the stone that covers it, a local stone known as “white of the sea”. This huge building is 125 m in diameter, with no intermediate support; it has a volume of 130,000 m3 and 8,633 seats and it can be divided into two areas by a moving partition. There are 76 seats for disabled people.

Its architect was the Greek Alexandros Tomazis but other important artists contributed to this project. The 8 m high main door, for example, made of bronze and dedicated to Christ was realized by Pedro Calapez, the painted tile panel in the atrium of the Apostles Peter and Paul is by Siza Vieira, and the 34 m high tall bronze cross outside the Church, is by the German artist Robert Schad.

Duration: 30 minutes

Stop At: Capela Das Aparicoes, Santuario de Fatima, Fatima 2496-908 Portugal

Capela das Aparições - Fátima

ABOUT FEEDBACK FROM USERS

Capela das Aparições - Fátima

Monuments

The Chapel, in the heart of the current Fátima Sanctuary, was built by local people in 1919 in response to the request made by Our Lady during one of the apparitions.

The first mass to be held there was in 1921.

Although subject to certain changes, due to preservation and maintenance requirements over recent years, the modestly sized chapel retains its rough design similar to a simple hermitage.

The image of Our Lady marks the spot of the holm-oak tree, the site of the apparitions. The actual tree itself disappeared piecemeal as more fervent believers made off with it twig by twig. It was here that the shepherds came to say the rosary accompanied by other believers.

Duration: 30 minutes

Stop At: Basilica de Nossa Senhora do Rosario de Fatima, Rua de Rainha Santa Isabel 26, Fatima 2495-424 Portugal

The Basilica of Our Lady of the Rosary (commonly called the Basilica of the Rosary) is a basilica that integrates the Sanctuary of Fatima, located in the place of the Cova da Iria, in Fatima, in the municipality of Ourém, Portugal.

Duration: 30 minutes

Stop At: Valinhos Sanctuary, Via Sacra, Fatima 2495-301 Portugal

Nowadays, the Valinhos are visited by thousands of Portuguese and foreign pilgrims who take the route of the Via-Sacra to the Hungarian Calvary, visit the Chapel of St. Stephen of Hungary and then visit the House of Lucy and the House of Francis and Jacinta Marto in the village of Aljustrel.

In Valinhos, the sculptures of the Angel of Portugal and the various stations of the Via-Sacra are all written by Maria Amélia Carvalheira da Silva.

Stop At: Batalha Monastery, Largo Infante Dom Henrique 2440, Batalha 2440-484 Portugal

Monuments

Monastery of Santa Maria da Vitória (or Monastery of Batalha)

One of the most fascinating places in the Iberian Peninsula.

A decisive event for the consolidation of the Portuguese nation took place on August 14, 1385, near the spot where the Monastery of Batalha stands: D. João, Master of Avis and the future king of Portugal, overcame the Castilian armies in the battle of Aljubarrota. This victory put an end to a dynastic crisis that had dragged on since 1383, since the death of King Ferdinand, whose only daughter was married to the King of Castile, an aspirant to the throne of Portugal.

D. João dedicated the monastery to the Virgin Mary, who he had invoked to intercede his triumph and donated it to the Dominican Order, to which his confessor belonged. This gave way to the birth of a work whose construction would last for almost two centuries and which resulted in one of the most fascinating Gothic monuments of the Iberian Peninsula. The construction of the monastery also embodied the consecration of King João I as king of Portugal, thus assuming itself as a symbol of the new dynasty and legitimised by divine will.

Its architectural value and historical significance spurred the classification of the monument as a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1983.

The construction included seven reigns of the second dynasty (1385-1580) and involved a large team of master masons of a high level, both national and foreign, that were initially directed by Afonso Domingues, until his death, in 1402. During this period, part of the church and the royal cloister were erected. He was succeeded by Master Huguet, an Englishman, who by 1438 completed the church, built the chapel of the founder and began work on the pantheon of D. Duarte. Between 1448 and 1477, Fernão de Évora designed the cloister of D. Afonso V and, in the 16th century, Mateus Fernandes was responsible for the Unfinished Chapels.

The monastery houses the most important nucleus of Portuguese medieval stained glass windows, which can be admired in the Chapel and the Chapter Hall. The central nave of the church stands at 32.5 metres and rests on eight columns on either side. In addition to the chapels and the cloisters, the monastery's dormitory, dining room and kitchen can also be visited.

The square outside was once largely occupied by the Cloister of D. João III. Burned down during the Napoleonic Wars, it was demolished during renovation works undertaken in the mid-nineteenth century. In the middle of the square you will see a tombstone that replicates the acronyms of several masons and marks the site of the old Santa Maria-a-Velha Church, the original temple where the monastery's builders attended the liturgical services.


Duration: 30 minutes

Stop At: Nazaré Lighthouse, Estr. do Farol, 2450 Nazaré, Portugal

The Sítio da Nazaré offers one of the most impressive and wide views of the entire Portuguese coast. Largo de Nossa Senhora da Nazaré has one of the best balconies over the region: you can see the Serra de Mira de Aire and Serra dos Candeeiros, all the coast from Nazaré to Peniche

Duration: 1 hour

Stop At: Nazaret, Praca Manuel Arriaga 20, Nazare 2450-160 Portugal

Nazaré

Towns and Villages

A typical fishing town, Nazaré is nowadays a busy summer resort, where side by side with the crowds of tourists, one still sees all over the streets of the town the fish-sellers, and the carapaus (horse mackerel) laid out to dry. The Sítio district, at the town's highest point (accessible by a funicular), is without doubt the best viewpoint in the area. But it is also associated with the cult of Our Lady of Nazaré who, according to the 12th century legend, was invoked by the alcaide (commander of a fortress or castle) Dom Fuas Roupinho who, while stalking a deer, was about to fall down into an abyss with no possible salvation. As a sign of gratitude for the mercy he received, Dom Fuas Roupinho ordered a small chapel to be built - the Ermida de Memória. A little way away, in the 18th century the Sanctuary of Our Lady of Nazaré was built, in whose honour grandiose festivals are held in September.

The Nazaré people's connection with the sea is reflected in the local handicrafts, in particular the nets, buoys, baskets and traditional puppets dressed in the typical costumes of seven skirts, as well as in the cuisine, with its emphasis on fish and shellfish dishes, such as caldeiradas (fish caseroles), soups, açorda (purée of bread, herbs and garlic) and the dried horse mackerel.

The most important feature of the surrounding area is the 7th century Chapel of São Gião, one of the rare holy places of the Visigoths existing in Portugal.

Duration: 1 hour

Stop At: Obidos Village, Obidos Portugal

The mediaeval town of Óbidos is one of the most picturesque and well preserved in Portugal.

Quite close to the capital and located on high ground near the Atlantic coast, Óbidos has had a strategic importance in the territory. It had already been settled prior to the Romans’ arrival in the Iberian Peninsula, and the town prospered after being chosen by the royal family. King Dinis offered it to his wife, Queen Isabel, in the 13th century, and it became part of Casa das Rainhas (Queens’ Estate), who improved and enriched it throughout the various dynasties. This is one of the main reasons for the high concentration of churches in this small place.



Duration: 1 hour

Fátima Private Tour And Batalha Nazaré & Óbidos photo 1 Fátima Private Tour And Batalha Nazaré & Óbidos photo 2 Fátima Private Tour And Batalha Nazaré & Óbidos photo 3 Fátima Private Tour And Batalha Nazaré & Óbidos photo 4
View All
See more Images

Important Details

Included
  • Hotel pickup and drop-off
  • Bottled water
  • Private tour
  • • WiFi on board
  • Round-trip private transfer
  • Driver/Escort
  • Transport by air-conditioned minivan
  • Transport by private vehicle
Not Included
  • Entry/Admission - Obidos Village
  • Entry/Admission - Batalha Monastery
  • Food and drinks
  • Entry/Admission - Nazaré Lighthouse
  • Tickets
Departure Point
Traveler pickup is offered
We also pick up our guests at their accommodation, train station, and any other destinations on agreement.

Airports

  • Lisboa Airport, Alameda das Comunidades Portuguesas, Lisbon 1700-111 Portugal


Ports

  • Lisbon Cruise Port


9:00 AM
Additional Info
  • Confirmation will be received at time of booking
  • Wheelchair accessible
  • Dress code is smart casual
  • May be operated by a multi-lingual guide
  • A current valid passport is required on the day of travel
  • Stroller accessible
  • Near public transportation
  • Infant seats available
  • Transportation is wheelchair accessible
  • No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
  • • Comfortable walking shoes are recommended
  • Most travelers can participate
  • This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
  • Face masks required for travelers in public areas
  • Face masks required for guides in public areas
  • Face masks provided for travelers
  • Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
  • Social distancing enforced throughout experience
  • Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
  • Gear/equipment sanitized between use
  • Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
  • Guides required to regularly wash hands
  • Regular temperature checks for staff
  • Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
Voucher Requirements

You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.

View Less

Cancellation Policy

For a full refund, cancel at least 48 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.