Lonely Planet Experiences Private LGBTQ+ History, Neighborhood and Pub Tour of Greenwich Village
Your private LGBTQ+ NYC adventure begins in Washington Square. After we get the formal introductions out of the way we’ll head to our first stop of the day - Gay Street where you’ll learn the history of this former stable alley (hint: the street name has nothing to do with the gay rights’ movement) and see where various gay liberators lived in the area north of Washington Square Park. NYC’s oldest gay bar, Julius’,...
Your private LGBTQ+ NYC adventure begins in Washington Square. After we get the formal introductions out of the way we’ll head to our first stop of the day - Gay Street where you’ll learn the history of this former stable alley (hint: the street name has nothing to do with the gay rights’ movement) and see where various gay liberators lived in the area north of Washington Square Park. NYC’s oldest gay bar, Julius’, is next on our LGBTQ+ agenda, pull up a stool and soak in the atmosphere and drink in the ‘love is love is love…’ Then we’ll take a sobering look at the NYC Aids Memorial to honor our sisters, brothers and others who we miss and will never forget. Next up is Christopher Street – arguably the most important thoroughfare in the West Village, where we’ll pass by iconic shops (the Oscar Wilde Memorial Bookshop, Stonewall Inn) and the Stonewall National Monument, the country’s first (and, so far, only) National Monument to celebrate LGBTQ+ people and their achievements. You scream, I scream… it’s time for Big Gay Ice Cream! Our next stop involves a custom cone ice-cream from NYC’s iconic sweet shop founded by two gay entrepreneurs with a sweet tooth! Your private walking tour then goes past some of the major institutions (Cherry Street Theater! Chumley’s!) that have defined the West Village over the past half-century. Our LGBTQ+ adventure ends at our favorite piano bar, where you never know who you might spot belting out a Broadway Lullaby. Join in, sing out, celebrate! It’s Gay New York! This tour is priced for a minimum group size of two travellers. A solo traveller may still book this private experience but will be charged the base rate for two travellers.
- Drink at the oldest gay bar in nyc and sing with the locals at a café where many broadway stars go to croon at the piano
- Visit the location where ‘the shot glass that was heard around the world’ was thrown: stonewall inn, the gay bar that launched the civil rights movement for lgbtq+ people back in 1969
- Celebrate gay history at big gay ice cream; a fancy cone is included in your tour!
- Tour the iconic west village where celebrities, writers, provocateurs and social justice warriors used to call home (and see where they used to live and work)
- Each lonely planet experience comes with six-months free access to lonely planet’s guides app which includes over 8,000 destination guides and unbeatable discounts to lonely planet guidebooks
- Local impact: how you will help the local community by joining this tour:
- Your tour represents, employs, and encourages visibility of minorities by creating cross-cultural connectivity. all the guides who give this tour identify as lgbtq+.
- Your guide will discuss safe sex practices and educate about disease protection.
- Your tour also visits a national monument and park, which celebrates the importance of the national park services.
Washington Square Arch in Washington Square, NYC View on Google Maps
You can cancel for a full refund up to 72 hours before the start of your experience. If you do not show up for the experience or fail to cancel at least 72 hours in advance, you will not receive a refund.