Private New York: Tenements, Tales & Tastes
Get in touch with the tasty culture of NYC on this New York food tour that is a pleasure for both the stomach and the mind! This New York City tour will start off at a location where many new citizens are made official, City Hall. On this historical tour of New York, we’ll make our way around the Lower East Side, visiting 100-year old bakeries, churches, markets, and historic sites. We’ll stroll the streets...
Get in touch with the tasty culture of NYC on this New York food tour that is a pleasure for both the stomach and the mind! This New York City tour will start off at a location where many new citizens are made official, City Hall. On this historical tour of New York, we’ll make our way around the Lower East Side, visiting 100-year old bakeries, churches, markets, and historic sites. We’ll stroll the streets of Little Italy just as Lucky Luciano might have a century ago. Marvel at former and still operating Jewish synagogues. Wind our way through the streets of Chinatown, where you’ll feel like you’re in Shanghai. We’ll dive into Latin culture at a community garden and take in cultural sites like the African Burial Ground. Along the way on this New York food tour, we’ll sink our teeth into amazing stories and amazing food. Dumplings, pretzels, cheese, and more. We’ll taste why New York City is the center of the world and the culinary legacy left here by those that have passed by Lady Liberty on their way to the American Dream. (If you’d prefer to travel as part of a regular group experience, please book our Tenements, Tales & Tastes group tour.) This tour is priced for a minimum group size of two travellers. A solo traveller may still book this private experience but will be charged the base rate for two travellers.
- Discover nyc from a local perspective, with a local guide by your side
- Hear stories about new york’s early settlers and taste the eclectic mix of food that they bestowed upon us
- Stroll through new york's unique cultural historic sites in the lower east side, chinatown, and little italy.
- Get a glimpse into new york’s immigrant heritage and how it is shaping the city today
- Local impact: how you will help the local community by joining this tour:
- On this tour you will learn about the importance of immigration to the city (and country) and visit immigrant owned businesses.
- Your tour promotes important cultural and historic new york foods (like a knish or bialy) that are less popular with a younger generation and are slowly dying off.
- The neighborhoods you visit are changing due to big development and large corporations, but your guide will discuss the impacts of this and focus on the importance of bringing business to the historic local businesses that are slowly disappearing due to gentrification.
The Fountain at City Hall Park which is at the southern end of the park (City Hall Park, Broadway, Manhattan, NY 10007).
You can cancel for a full refund up to 72 hours before the start of your experience. If you do not show up for the experience or fail to cancel at least 72 hours in advance, you will not receive a refund.