Lonely Planet Experiences: Experience Bohemian Paris
3 hr, 30 min
Join a local guide to discover the enigmatic charms of France’s capital on this enlightening Paris city tour that pairs secret local hangouts with delicious food and wine - winning combo! Start this bohemian Paris tour on Sainte-Genevieve Hill, a popular spot with local university students that offers impressive views of the imposing Pantheon. Next, stop in at the Luxembourg Gardens and soak up the romanticism of this quiet haven that offers a welcome...
Join a local guide to discover the enigmatic charms of France’s capital on this enlightening Paris city tour that pairs secret local hangouts with delicious food and wine - winning combo! Start this bohemian Paris tour on Sainte-Genevieve Hill, a popular spot with local university students that offers impressive views of the imposing Pantheon. Next, stop in at the Luxembourg Gardens and soak up the romanticism of this quiet haven that offers a welcome break from Paris’ busy streets. Continue to the vibrant Saint-Germain area, a hotspot for writers, intellectuals, musicians, and artists. Full of eclectic cafes, cool coffee houses, pokey bookshops, and lively street markets, it’s easy to see why Ernest Hemingway, Jim Morrison, and many others fell in love with the bohemian vibe of this area. Despite rising prices and gentrification, Saint-Germain has managed to retain its irresistible, artistic charm. This area is one of the best places to see that unbeatable, unique Paris charm, and this Saint-Germain tour will show you exactly what it means to be a local in the area. Next on our Paris walking tour, we wander along the serene embankments of the Seine River, and we’ll stop at a traditional wine store where you can sample a typical French charcuterie plate. Full of deliciously decadent cheese, salty cured meat, and rich pâtés, this is an authentic French gastronomic treat! From here we move to the beautiful surrounding square, the oldest in Paris, to play a game of petanque or bocci balls. This fun game is still played by many of Paris' citizens and all over the country, and they even might have some tips on technique to share with us as we play. We'll also give you a glass of French wine or traditional pastis - who knows, it may help improve your technique! After our game we go towards the energetic Saint-Michel area and take a peek into Paris’ first English bookshop, nestled in a medieval house and packed to the rafters with novels, from the classics to modern masterpieces. This place is like Mecca for bookworms, and definitely not to be missed if you're the kind of person who always has their nose in a good read! Finally we’ll finish our Paris day tour with the iconic Notre Dame Cathedral, where you can take photos of this legendary building and really fall in love with the beautiful city of Paris (if you haven't done so already!). Could there be a better way to finish this Paris city tour rich in history, gastronomy, and art? Nope, didn't think so.
- Explore the tangled medieval streets of paris
- Revel in the bohemian atmosphere of saint-germain
- Make a wish to come back to paris in front of notre dame cathedral
- Savour cheese and charcuterie in a traditional wine house
- Play petanque in paris’ oldest square with a glass of wine or pastis
- Each lonely planet experience comes with six-months free access to lonely planet’s guides app which includes over 8,000 destinations guides and unbeatable discounts to lonely planet guidebooks.
- Local impact: how you will help the local community by joining this tour:
- By joining this tour you help promote tourism diversity as the tour keeps travellers away from the very touristic sites and from the crowds that often damage the local atmosphere.
- During this tour you will have a cheese and charcuterie tasting in ma salle à manger, a place owned by a local and one of the few traditional french restaurants left on the city island. despite its location, a few blocks from notre-dame, it still serves mainly specialties from southern france to locals.
- During your tour you will pick up some responsible travel tips from your guide, such as where to find fresh water when you need to fill up your bottle, or where to shop in a sustainable manner
In front the entrance gates of the Pantheon - Place du Panthéon, 75005 Paris (closest metro Luxembourg on the RER suburban train line B). Your tour guide will be holding a distinctive red Urban Adventures sign.
You can cancel for a full refund up to 72 hours before the start of your experience. If you do not show up for the experience or fail to cancel at least 72 hours in advance, you will not receive a refund.